mounting digital camera sometimes causes system hang

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 15:47:07 UTC 2004

Kenn Munro <kenn-mwSrj/bF9lKNls3PewDF2w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have a Panasonic DMC-LC33 digital camera that I access using
> usb-storage.  Once every month or two (maybe 10% of the time I connect
> it), mounting it makes my system hang.  The keyboard is unresponsive and
> the num lock light remains on (doesn't flash and won't turn off).  I'm
> using Red Hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-28.9.  Does anyone have any suggestions
> as to what the problem might be or how to fix it?

Possibly an interrupt conflict.  In my experience, the USB drivers don't like
to share interrupts with other devices.  Enabling APIC (in the BIOS) and in
the kernel can help.  I think it's already enabled in your RH kernel but make
sure you aren't using the "noapic" option on the kernel command line.
Unfortunately, it's difficult (impossible?) on most modern systems to get all
the USB devices on their own interrupt because there are so many of them
(usually four or more).  Some BIOSes give you some amount of control,
allowing you to reorganize devices according to function.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada