USB/Firewire IDE case

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 1 22:43:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Not yet, but it looks like I will be buying an external USB2 chassis
> with removable 3.5" trays for backup of a server. If you aren't in a
> desperate push for time, I will be happy to report my findings shortly.

I've been happily using this sort of setup for personal backups for some
years.  I have 2 x Firewire cases each with an 80GB IDE drive.  At no time
are both of these drives onsite with my personal servers so I always have
at least 1 offsite backup.

Each night my boxes do a full or incremental backups to a "staging
server".  Every 2 weeks or so I bring one of firewire cases onsite and
rsync the data from the staging area.  This is all done with scripts.

The exact frequency with which to take offsite backups is up to the
administrators and owners of the data.  In the end the frequency (or lack
there-of) is a trade off between convenience and data protection.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.