Need help to configure sendmail

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 29 00:18:31 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 18:44, Frank Peng wrote:

> So I have to find out Sympatico's mail server name or
> IP to put it into my DNS server's MX record,then
> Sympatico forwords all email to my linux box?

For outgoing email you have to configure your local sendmail to relay all
non-local mail through sympatico.  In sendmail.mc I think you use SMART_HOST
for that but it's (thankfully) been a long time since I've had to do much
with sendmail.

For incoming mail there is no really good solution.  Sympatico blocks all
inbound smtp connections as well.  Try "telnet familywebhouse.com 25" from an
external connection and you will almost certainly find it blocked.

Since Sympatico forbids running servers and specifically enforces blocking
smtp so you're really out of luck unless you can arrange to relay in through
an external mailserver.  I ran my email that way for quite a while, my
domain's email is hosted at a colo facility and I had my personal email
relayed to home on port 26 ... eventually I switched to istop who do allow
you to run servers.