:Student project?

carola koitz ckoitz-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 24 01:27:24 UTC 2004

>    A while ago someone posted about college students looking for
> programming work? Anyone still have that posting archived?
>
> Tia,
>
> Sid

Here is the original message:

- Hi everyone,

- Sorry that this is very off-topic, but I'm looking to help some
- friends who are in co-op with me at college. Unfortunately the
- IT-related placement offerings in my college have been severely
- lacking, and most have been offered to several colleges and
- universities simultaneously. I was lucky to get a job at A Big Car
- Company (they were very impressed with my knowledge of GNU/Linux), but
- most organizations would rather take a B- university student over an A
- college student. They also lack the connections to tap into the hidden
- job market.
- What I'm looking for are leads to jobs/volunteer positions that
- involve IT in some way. They know how to use (but not administrate)
- GNU/Linux. They know how to hand-code HTML and CSS, and how to use
- Dreamweaver and (ugh) Frontpage. Of course they are well-versed in
- Microsoft Office. They know their way around SQL in Oracle and have
- some experience with Microsoft Access as well. They also know
- Maybe you know a church that's looking to have a website built. As I
- said, volunteer positions are just as eagerly sought. Maybe it's a
- company that needs someone in shipping 9/10ths of the time but would
- also like someone who can fix desktops when it's needed. We're running
- out of time, and my friends would appreciate anything.

- Many thanks,
- Michael Newman