VIA EPIA mini-ITX motherboard + case?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 23 18:17:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, William Park wrote:
> > I am looking to get one for the car, anyone know how this would work
> > in terms of the power supply?
>
> From pictures, those small mini-ITX case seems to be powered by external
> 12V block AC adapter (60W).  The case has 12V-to-ATX conversion circuit
> inside.  Probably, you could just plug into car.

Urk.  No.  *Bad* idea.  Car power has very poor voltage regulation (can be
quite considerably above 12V at times), and is full of very nasty voltage
spikes.  A normal computer power supply is not built to handle this, and
its life is likely to be short (perhaps very short).  You need, at least,
some serious filtering between the car and the computer.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org