I think I have an SELinux problem in FC3 (still trying to save my install)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 22 19:01:36 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I am desperately trying to save my install of Fedora Core 3 and I
think I have narrowed the problem down to something to do with SELinux.
Unfortunately, I know very little about SELinux so it doesn't help me much.

   It seems now that installing pretty much anything new causes the new
package to fail with permission errors. For example:

Dec 22 13:59:02 akane kernel: audit(1103741942.932:0): avc:  denied  {
read } for  pid=10649 exe=/usr/bin/postgres name=PG_VERSION dev=hda5
ino=656478 scontext=root:system_r:postgresql_t
tcontext=root:object_r:var_lib_t tclass=file
Dec 22 13:59:03 akane postgresql: Starting postgresql service:  failed

   I was getting this with a lot of other packages as well after trying
to install some updates over redhat's rhn up2date agent and now even
when I update through freshrpms.net's apt-get. The only reason I was
able to save my system as much as I have is that it initially died after
an up2date update and I still had the prior versions in my apt-get cache.

   Can anyone shed some light on this? My system if pretty crippled at
this point and I am nervous to try anything.

Madison