Question about wireless card for a linux laptop

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 22 14:01:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:34:03 -0500, "Seneca"
<seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> said:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 08:57:43AM -0800, Emil Janev wrote:
> > The laptop I got ( HP ze4400 ) has a integrated Broadcom PCI wireless
> > card, that I think I cannot get working with "ndiswrapper".
> >
> > Probably I am bying a wireless router today, and give it another try.
> > If it fails ( or if I fail :) to get it working, I would probably like
> > to buy a PCMCIA one, probably D-Link, or eventualy Lynksys.
>
> Look up the chipset(s) of the card that you are considering.  I
> recommend staying away from the ACX100s, such as the D-Link DWL-650+,
> but PrismII and Orinoco are good ones.

PrismII (802.11b) is no longer sold retail though I recently bought a
cheap USB adapter, a D-Link DWL-122 ($30 in the burbs or $60 at
BusinessDepot) that loads the prism2_usb module.  The confusing thing
about this is you can't configure it with iwconfig - you need
linux_wlan_ng config utilities.

Orinoco is tricky to buy because the original company was bought and the
new owner put the Orinoco name on completely different chips.

>I use an Enterasys RoamAbout that
> I bought at the UTSC bookstore, more expensive than the ACXs that they
> had in stock, but uses the orinoco drivers and has a port for an
> external antenna.  Be careful when choosing your card, some
> manufacturers change the chipset without changing the model number.
>
> Take a look at (sorry for the long lines)
> <http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html>,
> <http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html>

(long URL's?  --> http://tinyurl.com)

On the same site take a look at the section for the Atmel
AT76C502A/AT76C503A which is used in lots of USB devices.  You'll find a
link to the driver home page at berlio.de with a long list of devices
using this chipset.