TLUG Sliding Scale

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 21 20:19:23 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Why wouldn't you just connect the DV cam to a firewire port and dump the
> ram DV mpeg2 data to the machine, and then convert it down in resolution
> if necesary or to divx (or other mpeg4 format)?  The mpeg2 compression
> is much better than mpeg1 and would result in a much smaller file.
> mpeg4 of course is way better compression where you can get almost
> DVD quality at about 350M/hour or so.

I also agree that MPEG4 is far superior to MPEG2. The only reason one
would use MPEG2 is to play the VideoCD/DVD in a DVD player. For online
distribution MPEG4+BitTorrent would be perfect.

Just make sure you de-interlace the video and maybe even downscale it a
little too (in that order).

I would love to see videos of that meeting!

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***