Question about wireless card for a linux laptop

Seneca seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 21 19:12:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:22:34PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Seneca wrote:
> >
> >I recommend staying away from the ACX100s, such as the D-Link DWL-650+
>
> They are a bit of a pain to get working, but I find that both of my
> cards work very well, and they're quite cheap now.
> <http://acx100.sourceforge.net/> has all the info.
>
> It's sometimes not that easy to work out the chipset, as some of the
> large manufacturers keep the same model designation for different
> chipsets. That's how I ended up with two ACX100 cards ...

I have an ACX100 that I haven't yet gotten to work properly (with the
latest drivers from that project), but even they suggest not getting
the DWL-650+ (what I was given).  I bought the RoamAbout because I
needed a fully working interface (including WEP) and I didn't want to
have to deal with dissecting Windows drivers to pull out the firmware
(this was before 0.2.0pre2 was released, now it's scripted).  Another
disadvantage (to me) that the ACX100 cards have is that they're CardBus
and not all of my laptops support them.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org