Connection Refused to local user (Was: Re:X server problems)

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 21 02:14:35 UTC 2004

To many of you, this sounds like an simple fix, but as to the last problem:

I could get gdm to work, but I could not log on, due to an error something to
the effect of "Connection refused on :0.0". I had recently changed my hostname,
and thought that maybe there was something in X that wasn't smart enough to
look in /etc/hostname or simply run hostname to get my new hostname.

I decided to reconfigure gdm to allow root logins. I successfully logged in
that way, so X must have known my new hostname. Then could it be something in
my dot-files? I wasn't going to go there, since those files were more numerous
than my user files.

Instead, I did something very simple. I copied my home directory from user to
user_broken and then remade a user directory with the same ownerships and all
that. I copied my .bashrc and .functions files containing my own shell
configurations. I then logged on as myself, and all was clear.

I am slowly copying files back to my home directory. We'll see which file
breaks my account again.

Paul King