Copying home directories after install/upgrade

Jimmy Green greenj-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 20 21:38:04 UTC 2004

the hidden files of some user centric programs, like window managers for
example(kde,...), keep lots-o-stuff in /home/...

the layout of these things might change from version to version...?
ideally layouts would be made backward compatable so that given program could
detect and 'fix' older user level configs when upgrading versions.

if you swap in _copies_ of older hidden directories/files which may have user
level config info, it may well('should') work fine...
if not, swap back the vanilla stuff from the install...then one has to redo all
the stuff done last time (user preferences,,,etc...)

for things like personal dialup scripts,,, miscelania... which one may have
written previously and directly or indirectly installed in /home/... you _may_
be daeling with a different set of variables of how things get done in the new
version of distro... or different versions of tools...

since usually stuff like that is left to given user, one should not have to
consider removing any such stuff from newly installed /home/...

as for replacing, there should be a very good chance that any such stuff done
previously will still work, barring of course a major change in distro...

--
to bring heed and grate to halt try for (ms = -1 ; timetravel(ms) ; ms++) { ; }
if your keyboard is _really_ slow, you should get to the second iteration ...

Jimmy