Viewing the console from X

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 20 20:29:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:13:17PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:10:24PM -0500, William O'Higgins wrote:
>> Is there a way that I can open up a window to "tail -f" the underlying
>> console?
>
>Is xconsole to obvious an answer?  Does anyone even remember xconsole?
>:)

xconsole does not seem to be the answer - it took a bit of kicking to
get it to do anything except tell me that it "Can't open the console".
I fiddled the permissions on /dev/console and then started xconsole
thusly:

xconsole -file /dev/console

And it no longer complained, but it started stealing keystrokes and
spitting up "H*P*P*P*H*H*H*H*P", which I found both annoying and
uninformative.  If this is what it's supposed to do then there is little
wonder that it is forgotten.

As for opening a terminal and starting programs from there, that doesn't
fit my workflow.  I use OpenBox keyboard shortcuts to open my programs,
and I'm not going back.  Besides, opening a terminal to launch a
terminal is amusingly recursive, but unhelpful.

Thanks for the offerings so far.

Any other thoughts?
--

yours,