X server problems

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 20 10:38:23 UTC 2004

Hello

Thanks to Fraser for helping out with the distro I had been using (Debian
Woody). I tried to upgrade it to Sarge, but there were too many package
problems, so I decided to install Sarge fresh on newly-formatted /usr and root
directories.

I have a new problem, however. It has to do with the X server. I thought I
fixed a "no screens found" problem, and had been using X for several hours
yesterday, but then I had a problem starting new xterms from the GNOME menus.
Then, when I tried to start an xterm from an existing xterm, I got the error
"connection to :0.0 refused". And that was starting it as the same user that
owns the X session. Even the command "xhost +" generated the same error.

I thought I should log off and restart the server. So, I logged off, and
restarted the server. I found that not only would the server not restart, but
the dialog (a Debconf dialog, if I recall) it led me to gave a "no screens
found" error again from the X server. Debconf said it will "disable" the server
until the problem is fixed. Great.

<opining>
Whatever happened to the days when you just ran an X server to test your
XF86Config and then looked at the error messages? I can't understand what
problem adding this extra layer of techno-bureaucracy is supposed to solve in
order to supposedly make my life easier. By that, I mean I fail to see what
problem I am being helped with when a script disables a server because it
doesn't like my configuration. I would much rather have the thing crash so I
can check things out on my own.
</opining>

Paul King              http://www3.sympatico.ca/pking123/