Copying home directories after install/upgrade

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 19 19:36:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:36:19PM -0500, Alex Beamish wrote:

>OK, thanks, that's for the low level 'copy these files here' part --
>but I'm also interested in finding out if Mandrake's going to be upset
>that I overwrote the new version of some file in a user's directory
>with an older version.

The files you are thinking about are probably the dotfiles, which on a
new install should be pretty minimal.  If you want you can save them, or
you can look in /etc/skel, which is the "skeleton" files included in a
new users $HOME directory.

For a good tutorial on moving /home, take a look at this article:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-partplan.html
--

yours,

William