VIA EPIA mini-ITX motherboard + case?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 17 20:19:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Henry Spencer wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>>> ...The hard part of
>>> going 100% solid state is getting rid of the cooling fans.
>>
>> Not so hard if you do not aim for high speed. Anything up to about 1GHz
>> will work without a fan, with an oversized heatsink. Power supplies with
>> variable fan speed will have an inaudible fan at low load.
>
> Depending on the application, you might want completely fanless, not just
> quiet.  Which is not that hard to achieve, with the right hardware, but it
> does take you a little out of the commodity-PC market.

Imho not really. I have 'hacked' several pieces of commercial equipment
for special purposes (on-offs). As I said, getting rid of the CPU fan is
easy, but a normal psu won't work without a fan without major mods. So
one buys a higher end cpu which will, or a standard smpsu from the usual
outlets and adapts it. The problem with the latter is sometimes poor
regulation, ATX power functions won't work and more.

Peter