Defective L2 cache -- next steps

Logan Rathbone logan.rathbone-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 17 18:19:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:59:26 -0500
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> If it's defective, you turn it off and live with a somewhat major
> performance hit, or you replace it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've gathered from the time I discovered it was busted 'til now.  The performance hit is unfortunately drastic, so what I've had to do is leave it on, which is fine for ordinary computer stuff, but if I desperately need to compile something that won't compile without an ICE, I've rebooted and disabled the L2.

> What type of cpu?

It's an AMD Athlon XP 2200 1.8 GHz

Thanks for the quick reply!!