Using/installing 2.6.x kernel with Dynamic Drive Overlay

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 21:13:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 03:16:43PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> The BIOS supports my other 80gb Seagate without any interference on the
> part of a DDO. As to the 40gb Seagate ST340016A, upon powering off the
> system the drive goes back to 32gb. Perhaps I'll try the clip (software)
> option as it sounds like a good one.
>
> "Make a /boot partition at the start of the disk, of say 128M or so."
> Does this mean that I should not install grub/lilo to MBR?
>
> Note: I've tried the drive on a Silicon Image RAID card and though it is
> detected and boots, it is still only recognized as a 32gb drive.
> Methinks that perhaps the drive itself is the problem. Note also that I
> purchased it when 40gb had just entered the market. I'm not sure of the
> manufacturer, and am unsure as to whether a firmware upgrade is
> available for the drive since Seagate offers none. Would an firmware
> upgrade help?

If the drive is stuck at 32G on a system that supports bigger, then
someone either jumpered it for 32G or ran a utility to set it's default
on power up to 32G.  Getting the utility and running it should be able
to set it back to normal.  Some of those utilities are even available
for linux.

Have a look at: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk.html
especially 11.5.

Lennart Sorensen