Open source GIS packages?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 00:12:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 07:01:18AM -0500, Paul DiRezze wrote

> The only Open Source package I have some knowledge of is GRASS but
> it's very large and can be overkill for simple thematic mapping.
> Look here:
> http://gislounge.com/ll/grass.shtml
> http://grass.itc.it/
>
> Here are some others that might fit the bill:
> http://www.sourcepole.com/sources/software/gis-knoppix/
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/index.html
> http://openmap.bbn.com/

  Thanks.  I had heard of GRASS, but it's nice to know about the
alternatives too.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.