OT: Source for firewire enclosures w/HD

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 15 16:08:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:59:08 -0500, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Theoretical bandwidth on USB2.0 is higher than standard firewire
> (480Mbps vs 400Mbps). I doubt they expect you to have a Firewire2 drive
> and also I am sure their system has USB2 if the machine is more or less
> new. At any rate, find out and let me know. Mind me asking what kind of
> music you guys are recording? Good luck!

There are a number of machines which are perfectly good (and that you're likely
to find at a recording studio) that do sport Firewire, and NO USB2.0: a
dual G4 PowerMac for example.

They may also be using a hardware solution that plugs directly into
the HD to dump
the audio data (thanks to the mass storage class, though it probably
requires that
the drive is formatted for FAT).  Such a hardware audio solution
wouldn't have much
use for USB2.0 given the superiority of FW for A/V applications.

--
taa
/*eof*/