OT: Source for firewire enclosures w/HD

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 15 16:04:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:55:23 -0500, Austin <aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Now if linux support is what you're looking for... foolproof,
> cross-platform, hardware support, USB2 is the way to go... but if you
> have a single machine to use that supports both, Firewire is almost
> certainly preferable for audio/video applications.

I'm not aware of any "gotchas" with firewire devices under Linux, though
I must admit that I've never used any.  USB and FireWire are like in that
they have "class device" definitions for standard types of devices.  USB
has an "audio class", and ANY device conforming to this spec can use
a common driver for basic functionality (as an ADC or DAC or both).  This
is why you can get USB memory keys that "just work" in Windows, OSX,
Linux, and pretty much anything else that runs on hardware that has a USB
port.

USB, however, does not have any standard for video interchange.  Firewire
does.  :)

--
taa
/*eof*/