Kernel installation on Debian

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 14 02:33:45 UTC 2004

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:39:33AM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> > THis is my third attempt at writing. I have attemtped to install the 2.6.8
> > kernel binaries (precompiled from Debian) on to my Debian system. When the
> > system attempts to write the /boot/initrd file, it gets an error "mkinitrd:
> > cpu: command not found", and I get no initrd.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what part of the installation is causing the error?
>
> Is initrd-tools and module-init-tools up to date before installing the
> kernel?  You seem to have over a thousand packages not up to date.

The problem of the packages has since been fixed, although it was a bit tricky,
as I started with a broken installation system. It now runs pretty clean,
except for the "mkinitrd: cpu: command not found" error.

Sorry about the confusion, but I was expecting my email to propagate faster
than it did. It seems that it takes 18-24 hours before I see my messages and
other people's responses. All the while, messages intervene from other TLUGgers
on other topics.

Hope that clears things up.

Paul King