Losing a file handle in perl

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 14 00:37:01 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I hope all my questions aren't a pain!

   I have been re-writting my program heavily (my first go was to "get
it working", now I'm making it work well). Part of this process was to
create a library file for sub routines. I have a section where the main
program calls a subroutine which in the process of running launches
other sub routines and sometimes itself a second time.

   The script seems to be working fine because the program is working
through and past this call but what I do lose is an open filehandle I
use to write my logs out to. The first sub routine called by the program
will write out to the file right up to the last line but once it returns
the main program will no longer write out to the open file. I know the
problem isn't in the main file because if I remark the sub routine call
the log file stays open (??) or at least continues to get data.

   The open log file works (I can write data to it) through all of the
sub-routine jumps and returns... It's just the last return that seems to
cause problems.

   Has anyone run into this before? Have any suggestions or pointers?

   As always, thank you all very much!

Madison