Problems with installing kernel binary on Debian

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 13 21:54:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 08:40:43PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> The following email was sent earlier, and it contains a correction. The
> correct kernel version is 2.6.8, not 2.2.8. In addition, the system is
> relatively up-to-date (updated to to "testing").
>
> Hello
>
> I have been having problems installing the kernel binary for version
> 2.6.8 on a machine with an AMD K7 on Debian. There is a config script
> that appears to run mkinintrd, and it exits with an error "cpu: command
> not found". here is the full text of the error. Hope someone can help:
>
> Script started on Sun Dec 12 20:14:35 2004
> gandalf:/etc/apt bash (32) # apt-get -f install
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1659  not
> upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7 (2.6.8-10) ...
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: cpu: command not found
> Failed to create initrd image.
> dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
>  kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7
>   localepurge: processing locale files ...
> gandalf:/etc/apt bash (2) #
> Script done on Sun Dec 12 20:14:55 2004

I have never seen that before, and I haven't seen the cpu command
before.  Hmm.  Closest I can find is cpuid.

Might be a bug in initrd-tools.

I can't actually find any reference to that error anywhere, do you have
anything custom in /etc/mkinitrd/ or is this just plain simple defaults?

Lennart Sorensen