Configuring the Keyboard ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 10 17:01:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:48:15AM -0500, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> The BIOS is set as such, and I did set X to do it a couple times.
> Unfortunatly, everytime I upgrade it's gone again, and I can never
> remember how it was done.

Well gnome/kde might have an option for it.  I tend to turn it on if I
want it on which normally I dont since I hardly use the number pad for
the most part.  I imagine there are utils you can add to .xsession that
will turn it on.

> There's nothing in the giu to do it.
>
> 'Preferences'->'Keyboard' and 'Preferences'->'Keyboard Shortcuts'
> offer no help.
>
> >alt+SysRq allows chaging LOG levels and force sync and various things
> > >in Linux.
>
> Please elaborate...

If your kernel is compiled with alt+systrq support, then you can do
alt+sysrq+s to sync disks, alt+sysrq+0-9 to change default kernel
log level.  alt+sysrq+shift gives a list.  capital letter is the key to
hit.  You can power off, reset system, sync disk, change log leve, kill
processes, show memory use, show cpu state, etc.

> I presume you are refering to terminal mode rather than anything in X?

Of course.  Same with alt+sysrq.

> >break is very useful on serial consoles on real servers.
>
> ??? as apposed to Linux servers??? I don't understand...

Yes linux servers running on real hardware, not glorified PCs.  Some PC
servers do have serial consoles that can actually control the machine
(like hard reset, and bios and such).

For example, sending break on the serial console of a sun drops you to
the boot monitor prompt (even with the OS running), you can then reset
or 'go' to continue where it was.  Break isn't a character, it's a state
on the serial line, hence it's a great interrupt that applications
normally shouldn't expect to be able to use.

Lennart Sorensen