Configuring the Keyboard ?

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 10 16:42:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:53 -0500, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> Personal pet peeve: The Num Lock key
>
> The XT/AT keyboards kept this key for backward campatability to original
> PC software (And users, I'm sure)

Ummm, don't forget laptops, where the numeric pad is usually embedded in
the 789,uio,jkl keys.  You definitely don't want that enabled by default
on laptops.

> My Ideal keyboard would have the IBM AT/(PS/2) layout (No Windows Keys),
> Minus the Num Lock (No un-num-lock function), Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll
> Lock and Pause/Break keys.
>
> Of course, if there are people who use those last three keys regularily,
> I'd like to know what for? I haven't touched them in years!

Well, the menu key is hand to open an app (usually terminal) when your
mouse is not working (usually to fix the mouse).  Print screen dumps a
png screen capture to disk in Gnome, which is nice.  SysRq is used
routinely by kernel hackers.  Scroll lock is handy in console mode
(which strangely never worked in DOS).

Austin