Configuring the Keyboard ?

Jing Su gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 10 16:06:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:53:48 -0500, Lance F. Squire <lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Francois Ouellette wrote:
> My Ideal keyboard would have the IBM AT/(PS/2) layout (No Windows Keys),
> Minus the Num Lock (No un-num-lock function), Print Screen/SysRq, Scroll
> Lock and Pause/Break keys.

maybe you'd like to look at some keyboard options?
(i.e. not a standard $5 keyboard)

I personally have a kinesis keyboard:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/

Their keyboards have a built-in hardware remapping feature, which I
find very useful.  Lets me remap keys without having to look into what
config/script/magic-value I have to set for windows or linux.  Just
set it at the keyboard and it will lie to the OS for you.

Also, the model I have has built-in Dvorak keyboard bindings, so I can
switch between Dvorak and Qwerty.  At first this made it very hard to
learn how to type in Dvorak, and screwed up my qwerty typing.  But now
that I've gotten used to it, it's pretty easy to switch between the
two, like switching between different musical instruments.  And by
altering the layout once in a while, I find it works my fingers
differently and helps reduce fatigue.

You might want to look into something like a Happy Hacking keyboard:
http://store.yahoo.com/pfuca-store/haphackeyser.html

There are many other alternatives out there, ranging from midly
different to radically different (and the price variations are just as
wide).  While I must admit it was hard plunking down a hundred dollars
for a keyboard, I find it well worth the money.  Think of all the time
you've spent being unhappy with the default keyboard you have.  What's
your time and happiness worth to you?  Shop around and buy a better
alternative.