SERVER/HELP

Jimmy Green greenj-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 19:17:42 UTC 2004

Kaizilege Karoma wrote:
> --- Jimmy Green <greenj-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>>Kaizilege Karoma wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> >  I am a Junior Networrk Administrator working
>>with one
>> > of universities here in Tanzania, East Africa.
[snip]

> Actuaaly what I want to do is to connect my server to
> the internet so that I can send and receive mail (we
> have the domain), the server should be able to run the
> database, host mailing list, proxing, file sharing and
> also I want to run other services as you can suggest
> that can be suitable for the university. It is my
> responsibility to advice the management on what
> technology to use, also I would like to introduce new
> things different than what I mentioned which they are
> already used to.
>
> I want the students and management to enjoy the power
> of technology especially Open Source, I am not an
> expert on linux, I just attended 6 months course which
> was along the CCNA, I am trying to learn more on Open
> Source.

This is a(the) comprehensive _free_ reference for linux networking
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/nag.html
It may be usefull to you,,, as it thoroughly covers most essential stuff
Also see the many other references www.tldp.org has for almost all needs

> Yes i want my students to be able to work at Home, the
> current server is tested and working.
> The server will be running 100 computers.

as for necessairy services,,,
may want _samba_ on linux server to network your 100 boxes for file share
if your 100 boxes will run linux, mabye? run _nfs_ for file sharing

if you need a good general reference for linux i suggest
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/

good luck...

--
to bring heed and grate to halt try for (ms = -1 ; timetravel(ms) ; ms++) { ; }
if your keyboard is _really_ slow, you should get to the second itteration ...

Jimmy