Burned vs pressed CDs

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 5 22:27:08 UTC 2004

Henry Spencer wrote:
> CD-RW disks have a different problem:  they're very dark and have poor
> contrast, relative to CDROMs.  The reflective and nonreflective states of
> the metal alloy are both fairly poor reflectors, and moreover they don't
> differ nearly as much as pit vs. smooth aluminum in a CDROM or clear vs.
> burned dye in a CD-R.  This again can make trouble in marginal cases.

My dad's laptop (with a DVD-R drive) stopped reading CD-R or even CD-ROM
disks a while ago (seemed to deteorate over time). Surprisingly, it can
still read CD-RW disks perfectly, as well as DVD-ROMS and DVD-R disks.
I've tried different brands of CD-RW (Vertatim and Maxell) and they all
work. Very weird.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***