Burned vs pressed CDs

Adam Raymond streetsmart2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 5 16:20:33 UTC 2004

> On Sunday 05 December 2004 09:18, David J Patrick wrote:
>
> > In attempts to install ubuntu, on my thinkpad, I failed several times
> > using a freshly burned CD, even though the md5 sums were good. Then,
> > using an official ubuntu CD, it worked like a charm. I have also read
> > about other folks whose CDrom drives would only worked with "pressed"
> > CDs, not "burned" CDs. What's the difference ?

I haven't had any trouble with my laptop CD ROM drive. But my old P2
drive does not read "unburnt" CD's. I think its simply due to the fact
that the technology back when they made that CD ROM wasn't made to
read burnt CD's. However. Pressed M$ CD's and an old Linux RedHat 5
Pressed disk I had lying around worked. No good for me, but I just
needed to prove that pressed disks worked.

-Adam Raymond