IBM serveraid and linux

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 3 21:39:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:52:08 -0500, Andrew Hammond
<ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Before some idiot suggests using RAID3/4/5 to get more storage out of
> your disk, I should point out that they are over complicated, processor
> intensive solutions to a problem that doesn't exist anymore. You'd think
> they would just go away in this age of super cheap disk. It is pretty
> stupid to believe that it is more economic to waste hours of sysadmin
> time, degrade performance and risk data to save a couple of thousand
> bucks on disk.

For completeness' sake, I will point people to http://www.tpc.org and the
database benchmark systems there.  The highest performing systems have
6400 (six thousand four hundred) HDs.  Now you try to tell them to use mirroring
instead of RAID5...  ;)

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=104111801

--
taa