strange MS visits

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 3 08:52:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Austin wrote:

> Hmm, I'm having the weirdest thing going on with my website... maybe
> someone can offer insight.
>
> I've had this address crawling all over my site lately, which is okay.
> Recently it started visiting more often, and reloading the same pages
> repeatedly.  By today, it was pounding two of my pages "recent posts"
> and "leave feedback" form, several times per minute.  It's not really
> consuming that much bandwidth, but it's filling up my logs with useless
> quasi-spam.
>
> So guess who's IP it is?
>
> [austin at n1 rpm]$ whois 207.46.98.47
> OrgName:    Microsoft Corp
> OrgID:      MSFT
> Address:    One Microsoft Way
> City:       Redmond
> StateProv:  WA
>
> So either the microsoft search bot is messed up treating my site like a
> punching bag, or someone at MS is being a dick, or a machine at head
> office has been compromised and is being used to do malicious stuff.
>
> I dunno, I guess it's a bit off topic, but I'd love to hear your ideas.
>
> Austin
>
> P.S.  It's a linux server, http://groundstate.ca running Drupal.

There are rumors that borg is collecting info on linux users and their
habits in more than one place. It could be a bot programmed to make
digests about users and activity, or a human borg extension doing the
same. Time to password those pages imho. It could also be a borg employee
looking after future employment security.

Peter