strange MS visits

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 2 01:38:28 UTC 2004

Hmm, I'm having the weirdest thing going on with my website... maybe
someone can offer insight.

I've had this address crawling all over my site lately, which is okay.
Recently it started visiting more often, and reloading the same pages
repeatedly.  By today, it was pounding two of my pages "recent posts"
and "leave feedback" form, several times per minute.  It's not really
consuming that much bandwidth, but it's filling up my logs with useless
quasi-spam.

So guess who's IP it is?

[austin at n1 rpm]$ whois 207.46.98.47
OrgName:    Microsoft Corp
OrgID:      MSFT
Address:    One Microsoft Way
City:       Redmond
StateProv:  WA

So either the microsoft search bot is messed up treating my site like a
punching bag, or someone at MS is being a dick, or a machine at head
office has been compromised and is being used to do malicious stuff.

I dunno, I guess it's a bit off topic, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

Austin

P.S.  It's a linux server, http://groundstate.ca running Drupal.