IBM serveraid and linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 18:57:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:18:44PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> As another data point, one of our customers had some similar machines with
> the 4M SeveRAID cards.  They had several failures that took out the entire
> array.  The IBM technician who came to replace the failed drives said it
> happens a lot so I'm not convinced SeveRAID is all it's cracked up to be.

Well I know that the hdparm -t runs quite a bit slower on a raid1 on a
serveraid 4M than the same drives do running md raid1 in software.  I
was rather disappointed in the performance of them when I used them.  I
really didn't see any point in them compared to the cost of a 3ware card
and a bunch of large fast SATA drives.  Even the failure rate of the 10k
and 15k rpm IBM drives was a bit on the disappointing side.

Lennart Sorensen