IBM serveraid and linux

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 09:58:34 UTC 2004

On December 1, 2004 09:32 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Sounds like a hardware problem.  I have had similar problems caused by
> both a defective serveraid card (took months for IBM to admit that yeah
> the card might be faulty) and from a hotswap backplane with flacky
> connectors.
>
> It is VERY unlikely to have anything to do with the OS since all the
> handling of bad disks and such is entirely part of the serveraid
> firmware (are you running the latest?) and the drives and backplane.

That is what I was thinking, but why would both work fine, and then when I
removed the SCO that was installed on it it now fails?

> So try swapping out the serveraid card or backplane if possible and see
> if it helps.
>
> Oh and is your power supply large enough to run that many disks?  Some
> of the IBM boxes come with one power supply and room for 3 and actually
> require 2 or 3 installed to run more than a certain amount of hardware.

All 3 power supplies installed and live. APC SmartUPS 1000 runing the show.

> Lennart Sorensen

" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
       And decide to replace them with something stronger"
(o_
//\        Linux - The Choice Of A GNU Generation
V_/_                     Jason Shein
      		Linux Registered User #281100
		 jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org