simple forking server -> problem (C) (fwd) (solved)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 14:28:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 02:17:49AM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> Please disregard the messages with this subject. My server works
> perfectly, the problem is in the clients. The clients (browsers) are
> optimised to 'share' a connection. Using unoptimised clients (netpipes,
> wget, etc) allows perfect concurrent operation.
>
> Now, how to cause 2 or more mozilla firefox instances to access the same
> stream atthe same time while running on the same desktop ?

If you are doing HTTP connections, you could just make your server
return an http 1.0 header rather than 1.1, since 1.0 does NOT allow
persistent connections.  That should prevent the browser from trying to
use the same connection again and again.  You still have to force the
browser to try multiple connections at once of course.

There should also be a setting in the browser to control how many
simultanious connections it will make.

Lennart Sorensen