Shrinking Images

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 31 13:16:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Hoshil N. Desai wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I know this topic was discussed not long ago, but I didn't pay much
> attention to it at that time and I am now paying the price.

No archive of old messages?

While it slows down the startup of my E-Mail program, I keep a fair bit of
history on the various lists that I belong to.

> I have about 650 jpeg's (approx. 1.5 MB each) from a recent family reunion.
> I need to shrink them down and start e-mailing them and/or posting them on
> my site.

Check out 'convert' -- I wrote a Perl script that builds a picture gallery
that works fairly well, calling convert to scale the images to 600x600
(for the display image) and 100x100 (for the thumbnail). Then I build a
bunch of web pages with the display image, a link to the original image
and thumbnails for the next and previous images, as well as a master page
of thumbnails that link to the display page.

Just doing a 'man convert' will get you going.

Alex