JS keyword search/help bubble help

Devin Whalen devin-Gq53QDLGkWIleAitJ8REmdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 30 21:43:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 17:15, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Devin Whalen wrote:
> > I would try putting the div around only the text.  I have had problems
> > in the past with divs around table rows...might not cause a problem in
> > this case but you might as well start off with the simplest example
> > first.  Try just putting it around text like this:

> > using several tags. Mouse over this text to see the ones available.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but in this case it didn't help. I must be
> messing up elsewhere.
>
> > Correct me if I am wrong but there is no onmouseover event even defined
> > so I don't see how anything would happen onmouseover.  Plus, I don't see
> > what function would be called for the onmouseover event?
>
> There probably is... I'm using a website from Viewsonic as my example.
> Here is the code working properly when people who know what they are
> doing write it:
>
> http://viewsonic.com/monitoruniversity/lcdbasics.htm
>
> Note: The link has a flash video with audio explaining how LCD panels
> work. It was the only page I could find where the help-bubbles worked
> properly under Mozilla.
>
> The direct link to the JS script with used by this page is:
>
> http://viewsonic.com/monitoruniversity/scripts/glossary_monitoruniversity.js
>
> There are other scripts it calls too so maybe what I am missing is in
> one of them.
>
> > There must be more js that you didn't send.  Are you sure this is it?
>
> I looked again and I can't see anything else that might be relevant.
> Obviously there is though and I am missing it. Thanks Devin!!
>
> Madison

Hey,

Well I looked at the website and these little help popups are really
nice.  I am actually thinking of adding something like this to the web
application I currently work on.  The thing is, you are missing some
files.  If you look at the source code for the web site they have these
files:

<script src="../scripts/pint_common.js" language="JavaScript"
type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="../scripts/pint_printcss.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="../scripts/vs_rollover.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="../scripts/menus/init.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="../scripts/pint_initcleanup.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="../scripts/glossary_monitoruniversity.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>

Here is a link to one of them (this link you gave is not actually
correct, if you look at the src it has a ../ at the beginning so you
have to go one level above before going to scripts):
http://www.viewsonic.com/scripts/pint_common.js

You see, in these files all the onmouseover events are attached to the
words along with many other things going on.  I would make sure you have
all these files first and then try to edit them to fit your needs.  Hope
this helps.  Good Luck.

Later

--
Devin Whalen