bash 3.01

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 30 01:16:36 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, John Wildberger wrote:

> On Saturday 28 August 2004 11:00 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> Make sure these lines are near the top of lilo.conf:
>>
>> delay=40
>> prompt
>>
>> and then run lilo. The configuration is updated only when you run lilo.
>>
>> Peter
> Here is the top part of my lilo.conf:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> delay=200
> prompt
> default="linux"
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> timeout=100
> message=/boot/message
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> 	label="linux"
> 	root=/dev/hda6
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> 	append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
> 	vga=788
> 	read-only
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I set the delay =200 with the intention to give me more time.
> I run /sbin/lilo after I edited the file.
> Rebooting the computer still showed LILO only for a very short time before the
> boot menu was displayed. Holding the left shift key did not have any effect.
>
> I am  persuing this issue only for interest sake. I am quite happy with the
> bash-3.0 and will probably never need to revert back to the bash-2.05
> version. It just bugs me not being able to accomplish what you guys are so
> sure that it can be done easily.

We are able to do this all the time ;-) Sorry about your problems.

> Any further suggestions???   (I already read the man pages for lilo and
> lilo.conf)

Imho, delete the line that says message=... and check that the keymap in
/boot exists (file us.klt). I am not sure why you need that keymap. Maybe
delete that too and check. The keymap could prevent the shift key from
working, and the message could hide LILO and then crash or do something
else internally that we don't know about. I'd comment out the keymap= and
message= lines, run lilo and see what happens.

hope this helps,

Peter