New member

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 29 00:12:07 UTC 2004

Dear Patrick,
First, welcome! It's great to have folks who are willing to give MS
the boot and enter this strange new world. You'll work hard to figure
it out, but the result is rewarding.

To answer some of your questions, the first assumption you should make
is that mailing lists like these are here in order to be bothered by
your questions. We love to puzzle and figure stuff out. The linux
ethic is very much steeped not in classroom learning but in poking and
prodding things till they work. That way, the thinking goes, the
learner gains a much deeper understanding.

There's one thing I can contribute to here, and that's your wireless
card problem. Indeed, it is a problem, because your d-link card is one
of the few for which there is no viable Linux driver. It's based on
the ACX100 chipset, which is notoriously difficult to get working. In
fact, I was just going through this nightmare myself with a similar
card, and ended up selling it on eBay, and buying a new one from
TigerDirect, which is much better supported. Search through google to
find supported wireless cards.

For your other issues, you'll find this mailing list full of
intelligent, interesting people who are dying to help you out. With
each problem solved you'll become more adept. Before long, you'll be
answering questions yourself!

All the best,
Aaron.