New member

Patrick Bloomfield patrick.bloomfield-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 28 17:50:43 UTC 2004

I'm a new member of this mailing list and would like to introduce myself
with a comment or two that might be relevant to the group as a whole.
I'm in my seventies. I've used Windows since Windows 1.0 was released,
had grown increasingly eager to escape the MSFT empire, had tried one or
other distribution of Linux from time to time, but had previously never
found any Linux system sufficiently user friendly.
Now I have installed SuSe 9.1 and this new distribution seems to me to
meet all my needs. But, while the system is very friendly, the
documentation is not. Not, at any rate for an amateur such as I.
I wonder if TLUG has ever considered broadening interest in Linux and,
possibly, bringing a few dollars into the group's coffers, by running
introductory Linux courses for beginners, limited to basic principles,
basic commands, learning how to configure and mount accessories, etc.
Such a course would also give new users a legup with specific problems.
For instance, I am composing this message in the Windows version of
Mozilla Thunderbird because I have not yet succeeded in getting my
D-Link Air-Plus DWL-650+ up and running in  the SuSe 9.1 system. The
SuSe 9.1 handbook suggests that the system's wireless card configuration
will work for D-Link products. By contrast,  the manufacturer's web site
suggests there is no Linux driver for the DWL-650+. I did  find one set
of driver files  in www.sourceforge.net/project. However, even were I to
download these files, I would not be certain where to file them in the
system.
I'm also unable to achieve a full-screen SuSe 9.1 format on my Toshiba
Tecra 8100 (for which SuSe 9.1 does not seem to include a specific
display installation).
The lasrt thing I wish is to take up this group's time teaching me or
any other newbie basic programming. On the other hand, an introductory
course would be an ideal stepping stone for new Linux users.
Patrick Bloomfield.