installing firefox 0.9

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 28 15:56:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:22:11PM -0700, Mel Seder wrote
> Your suggestion seemed to have worked.  The install program fired
> up firefox for me.  When I exited firefox I couldn't figure out how
> to fire it up again.  How do I get firefox to run?

  Try things in the following order...

  Plan a) Open an xterm in X, and at the command line type "firefox"
          (without the quotes)

  Plan b) Do you know where it was installed, and if that directory is
          in your path?  A manual install usually puts executables (or
          symlinks thereto) in /usr/local/bin.  So go back to your
          xterm and type in "/usr/local/bin/firefox" (without the quotes)
          If that works, add /usr/local/bin to your PATH statement.

  Plan c) The hard way.  If none of the above work, su or login as root
          and run the command...
          find / -name firefox | more
          and see exactly where the file is located.  Once you find the
          file, create a symlink from it to a directory in your path.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did