Good 64 bit motherboard

Adil Kodian akodian-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 28 05:40:02 UTC 2004

> Is the HD SATA or old style IDE?  Why buy old technology?

make sure you buy a SATA controller that is supported by your version
of linux. I have  a tyan thunder k8w with a sil3114 card, and ive
never gotten the hardware RAID to work properly in a manner that both
windows and linux can use any partition on the RAID'ed hard drives
(Raid0)

but working with my desktop (2x248 opteron, 1Gig RAM, 120Gx3 SATA hdd)
with windows2k (32bit) ive found it to be blazingly fast - P4s and
Xeons dont even come close! I can run a heavy simulation ad 70%cpu),
and continuously keep playing my games without a skip or freeze !
(NVidia GeForce FX 128Mb agp card)

With linux in the native 64 bit mode it runs unbelievably fast - yep i
also experienced the kernel compiling like magic.  Mandrake, SuSE, FC2
all have AMD64 versions, although FC2 comes with support for almost
every new device - and so may be important to some.