bash 3.01

The Edge of the Ice jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 20:58:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:18:04 -0400, John Wildberger
<wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> How do I pass init=/bin/oldbash during booting?

Do you use LILO or GRUB?  Probably GRUB.  Before GRUB actually loads
your kernel, you should have a screen that shows your boot options
(often Linux vs Windows).  Hit 'e' to edit the boot options.  Find the
line that loads the kernel (something like "kernel
(hd0,4)/kernel-2.6.6 root=/dev/hda7 resume=/dev/hda3", highlight it
using the arrow keys, and hit 'e' again to edit that line.  This is
where you append the init=/bin/oldbash.  Then hit 'enter', and 'b' to
boot with those boot options.

It may be that Mandrake doesn't pause in GRUB, or doesn't make it
obvious that you can pause at that stage.  I haven't booted Mandrake
10, and certainly not in your configuration, so I can't be sure.  You
can also go into the GRUB config file (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and add a
new boot option there, or make sure that it's delaying so you have a
chance to edit your boot options.

> On my system  (mdk10.0) I can enter the interactive mode by pressing the 'I'
> -key. However, there is no interaction possible until *after* the line
> 'INT: starting runlevel5.
> Neither one of the following questions that I have to anwser with either Y or
> N will relate to init.
> John

taa
/*eof*/