what happens when debian sarge moves to stable?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 15:55:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:19:13AM -0400, Michael Coburn wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> What's going to happen when the current testing version of debian (aka
> sarge) moves into stable?  On September 16, when everyone fires off
> apt-get update, apt-get upgrade -- are we all going to end up with libc6
> upgrades, perl5.8, mysql 4.0.18, etc?  Or will we need to specifically
> drop in new deb entries in sources.list for this to happen?
>
> Why this concerns me -- we maintain a testing machine running the
> current debian 3.0 stable which includes the 3.23 series of MySQL, which
> is also the same version as what's running on our hosting site's
> server.  We don't want to start developing on 4.0 MySQL and then run
> production 3.23 -- too much room for irregularities.  What options will
> exist after debian moves to 3.1 / sarge / stable?
>
> This strikes me as a significant upgrade for many users of debian, and
> I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find much discussion of the
> implications of this move -- white papers, FAQs, whatever.  Do they
> exist, and I'm looking in the wrong places?

This is what will happene depending on what your sources.list uses as
the release:

stable: you will be upgraded to sarge when it goes stable.
woody: you will continue using woody along with any security fixes for
	woody as it moves to old-stable and/or archived.
sarge: you will continue to use sarge as it goes from testing to stable
	and eventually in some years to archived when something else
	becomes stable.
testing: You will continue using testing which will then be named 'etch'
	as follow it as it develops (and probably get lots of breakage and
	updates as many new libraries move in following sarge's
	release).  The new testing will be a fork from sarge when it
	goes stable.  Forking unstable has already been tried and it
	really doesn't work well towards making a stable system anytime
	soon.
sid/unstable: You will continue running unstable as usual along with all
	that means.

Hope that helps.

Lennart Sorensen