Wireless PCI Card

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 13:28:58 UTC 2004

Jeremy Baker <jab at ...> writes:

> If you are thinking of using the hostap driver, then I don't think any of the
> "g" products have supported chipsets.  I successfully implemented this with a
> DLink DWL-520 rev E1 which is an 802.11b pci card.  You need rev A, B, E1, or
> E if you want a prism chipset.  I don't know about the other brands.  I
> remember trying to find other models that have the prism chipset, but
> everyone is pushing the g products now, so it is tricky.

You can't buy the 'b' cards retail but seems to me that a few stores are now
getting them back in a budget/remainder items.  For instance, someone picked me
up a DLink 'b' Access Point for $25.  PCI wireless cards are harder to find than
CardBus/PCMCIA, of course.

To identify a card that comes in a generic box, there is always an ID # called
the 'FCC ID' somewhere on the card.  FCC stands for Federal Communications
Commission, a US gov't agency that maintains a database of communications
hardware.  You can search the database to identify the maker of a card and so
maybe figure out its chipset.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
http://www.driverzone.com/fcc_id_search.htm

This site has a great list of Linux compatible networking devices.

http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison