[Bulk] Re:bash 3.01

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 26 02:31:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, John Wildberger wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 August 2004 06:25 pm, Fraser Campbell wrote:
>> On August 22, 2004 10:21 am, John Wildberger wrote:
>>> What do I have to do to invoke bash 3.01 when starting up the system?
>>> My system is Mandrake 10.
>>
>> As others have mention chsh is the safest/easiest way to change a user's
>> shell.
>>
>> If you meant "how do I make bash3 my default system shell?" (i.e.
>> replacing /bin/sh) then I'd say the correct answer is don't do it ;-)  --
>> broken /bin/sh usually would force you to boot up from rescue media.
>>
>> The bash 1 to 2 upgrade broke some scripts that we'd been running for a few
>> years, I'd not be too surprised if bash 2 to 3 (based on history of 1 to 2
>> upgrade) also introduces some incompatibilities.  If Mandrake provides a
>> package for bash3 then they probably would have verified it's compatibility
>> with their init scripts and it should be safe upgrade to that.
>
> I think you are a bit overcautious. I will take the risk and make bash-3.0 my
> default shell. Replacing /bin/bash with a symlink to my new bash-3.0 will do
> this just fine. There is always a risk that something can get broken, but
> this applies to any new program, not just to bash. The sun will still rise in
> the morning.

     I installed 3.0 as my default shell within a couple of days of its
     release. There have been a few minor bugs reported, but nothing
     serious, and I have had no problems.

     Bash 3.0 does not differ greatly from 2.05; there was a much
     bigger difference between bash1 and bash2.

--
 	Chris F.A. Johnson                      http://cfaj.freeshell.org