DVD writing woes

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 26 00:30:03 UTC 2004

I just got a Plextor 712A, which has gotten good reviews from
Linux users for compatibility. I flashed the firmware to the
latest available version, 1.04. It reliably and readily will
read CDR, CDRW, DVD-video, DVD-R, DVD+R. (It should read the
rewriteable DVDs too but I don't have any to test yet.) And it
will write data DVD-R and DVD+R with growisofs, though not, I
should note, with dvdrecord (which returns a SCSI error at the
first write command).

What I somehow can't do -- why not? -- is to write a readable
DVD-video. It might not be the fault of the Plextor, though.
Here's what I've done:

1. Run dvdbackup on a DVD-video, which creates a "mirror image"
   of the structure on the DVD. The command:

   # dvdbackup -M -i/dev/dvd -o/temp/DVD/

   This creates a structure under the name of the DVD -- say,
   7THSEAL (for Bergman's "The Seventh Seal"), a directory that
   contains VIDEO_TS which itself contains the actual .VOB files
   and so on.

2. Run growisofs on the ripped image, preserving the structure
   of the files (and the capitalization):

   # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video /temp/DVD/7THSEAL/

   Here the option "-dvd-video" is passed to mkisofs to get the
   files in the right order for writing, and "-dvd-compat" gives
   compatibility with commercial DVD-video formats; the "-Z" means
   to burn the first session on the blank DVD-/+R.

And that's it... growisofs executes this command with no complaints,
and the result should be a DVD-video. But when I try to play it on
the computer I get the message that dvdcss can't open /dev/dvd (?),
and my home DVD deck, a Panasonic that claims to support DVD-R, does
not recognize it.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice?

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42