Samba and Gnome

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 25 15:26:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:36:07 +0300
E K disseminated the following:

> Why use samba in the first place to share files among Unix/Linux boxes? Why
> not use nfs?

>From what I've heard, Samba can be made more secure, and is easier to configure,
say with Webmin or Swat. I know personally I found it much easier dealing with
Samba than NFS; as for the more secure part, I have no direct experience
with that, but I've read several pieces comparing the two and finding Samba a
bit more bullet proof.

Try Googling 'samba vs. nfs' and see whatcha get :-)

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
11:21:23 up 21 days, 11:05, 9 users, load average: 1.23, 0.69, 0.27