Job ads

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 24 00:48:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

>> And if the only thing separating you from getting a job is a difference in
>> SQL flavours, that's really not a big problem unless you're expected to do
>> some Pretty Magical Things with the system tables. For the most part, SQL
>> is SQL.
>
> Actually, I have to disagree with that one.
>
> One of my coworkers implemented a data conversion (dump from source
> system, load into destination system) because the query capabilities in
> the source system (MySQL) were so much more primitive than in any
> self-respecting SQL implementation.

Me too ;-) Written in Perl to prune headings and even column widths from
printout (!) formatted data from the old database, for input to
Postgresql. Then I made a simple front end for testing, using
apache/ssl/php4/postgresql backend. I did this a few years ago. It turns
out this is the only way to exchange data between really old apps and new
ones. The old app supported .dbf export but I did not trust compatibility
at that level (with foreign langiage characters in the fields and a
database that has never been audited - brr).

I think that it's important to have the skills to do this, or to know
someone who can do it.

Peter