Job ads

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 23 15:43:04 UTC 2004

> And if the only thing separating you from getting a job is a difference in
> SQL flavours, that's really not a big problem unless you're expected to do
> some Pretty Magical Things with the system tables. For the most part, SQL
> is SQL.

Actually, I have to disagree with that one.

One of my coworkers implemented a data conversion (dump from source
system, load into destination system) because the query capabilities in
the source system (MySQL) were so much more primitive than in any
self-respecting SQL implementation.

There _are_ pretty big differences between the different flavours of SQL
out there, between:

 - Some databases only feigning compliance with standards, thereby
   mandating that you design your application to do a whole lot
   of work that a DBMS ought to be able to do for you (typical with
   MySQL);

 - Some databases only performing acceptably if you make intense
   use of entirely non-portable proprietary extensions (typical with
   Oracle and the various Sybase spinoffs).

Yes, there may be a bit of "lingua franca" in common, but it's really
not all that large :-(.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/multiplexor.html